Saturday, January 31, 2015

New Work

Here are a couple of finished pieces

Children of Light Children of Darkness

Never Forget
While I am not a big fan of explaining, since this is my blog I can talk about the imagery of Never Forget (as it is something that shows up repeatedly in my work). 

This piece is based on a map of Warsaw in the post WWII reconstruction, and especially important to me for its connection to my past.  In 1972 I went to Poland as part of my Junior year abroad.  We went to Auschwitz:  and it was there, standing next to a room piled high with  discarded suitcases, that I learned about Shoah.  It was a lovely autumn day, bright sun, and the low brick buildings of Auschwitz look like a school until you got inside and saw the rooms:  one of suitcases, one of glasses, one of human hair.

I grew up in a totally white bread farming town in rural Ohio, and my right wing mother would probably be considered a Holocaust denier in current terms so I have an excuse for not knowing until then.  It was a transformative experience, as was the next day's trip to Old Town Warsaw.  The most remarkable achievement--despite all the unspeakable destruction, they managed to restore their city to the way it was--every building, every architectural ornament, every street.  As inspiring as the previous day was depressing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment